At which layer of the OSI model does multiplexing take place?
- Layer 1
- Layer 2
- Layer 3
- Layer 4
Which command can be used to view the cable type that is attached to a serial interface?
- Router(config)# show interfaces
- Router(config)# show controllers
- Router(config)# show ip interface
- Router(config)# show ip interface brief
Which field marks the beginning and end of an HDLC frame?
Which serial 0/0/0 interface state will be shown if no serial cable is attached to the router, but everything else has been correctly configured and turned on?
- Serial 0/0/0 is up, line protocol is up
- Serial 0/0/0 is up, line protocol is down
- Serial 0/0/0 is down, line protocol is down
- Serial 0/0/0 is up (looped)
- Serial 0/0/0 is up (disabled)
- Serial 0/0/0 is administratively down, line protocol is down
Which is an advantage of using PPP on a serial link instead of HDLC?
- option for authentication
- higher speed transmission
- fixed-size frames
- option for session establishment
What are three components of PPP? (Choose three.)
- HDLC-like framing
How does PPP interface with different network layer protocols?
- by using separate NCPs
- by negotiating with the network layer handler
- by encoding the information field in the PPP frame
- by specifying the protocol during link establishment through LCP
Which address is used in the Address field of a PPP frame?
- a single byte of binary 00000000
- a single byte of binary 10101010
- a single byte of binary 11111111
- the IP address of the serial interface
Which three physical layer interfaces support PPP? (Choose three.)
- asynchronous serial
- synchronous serial
Which three are types of LCP frames used with PPP? (Choose three.)
- link-negotiation frames
- link-acknowledgment frames
- link-maintenance frames
- link-termination frames
- link-control frames
- link-establishment frames
Which protocol will terminate the PPP link after the exchange of data is complete?
During a PPP session establishment phase, which two messages are sent by the requested party if the options are not acceptable? (Choose two.)
Which three statements are true about PPP? (Choose three.)
- PPP can use synchronous and asynchronous circuits.
- PPP can only be used between two Cisco devices.
- PPP carries packets from several network layer protocols in LCPs.
- PPP uses LCPs to establish, configure, and test the data link connection.
- PPP uses LCPs to agree on format options such as authentication, compression, and error detection.
Which PPP option can detect links that are in a looped-back condition?
- Magic Number
When configuring Multilink PPP, where is the IP address for the multilink bundle configured?
- on a physical serial interface
- on a subinterface
- on a multilink interface
- on a physical Ethernet interface
- Only the link-establishment phase completed successfully.
- Only the network-layer phase completed successfully.
- Neither the link-establishment phase nor the network-layer phase completed successfully.
- Both the link-establishment and network-layer phase completed successfully.
Refer to the exhibit. A network administrator is configuring the PPP link between the two routers. However, the PPP link cannot be established. Based on the partial output of the show running-config command, what is the cause of the problem?â€‹
- The usernames do not match.
- The passwords do not match.
- The passwords should be longer than 8 characters.
- The interface IP addresses are in different subnets.
In which situation would the use of PAP be preferable to the use of CHAP?
- when router resources are limited
- when multilink PPP is used
- when plain text passwords are needed to simulate login at the remote host
- when a network administrator prefers it because of ease of configuration
A network administrator is evaluating authentication protocols for a PPP link. Which three factors might lead to the selection of CHAP over PAP as the authentication protocol? (Choose three.)
- establishes identities with a two-way handshake
- uses a three-way authentication periodically during the session to reconfirm identities
- control by the remote host of the frequency and timing of login events
- transmits login information in encrypted format
- uses an unpredictable variable challenge value to prevent playback attacks
- makes authorized network administrator intervention a requirement to establish each session
Refer to the exhibit. Based on the debug command output that is shown, which statement is true of the operation of PPP.
- CHAP authentication failed because of an unknown hostname.
- A PPP session was successfully established.
- Both PAP and CHAP authentication were attempted.
- The debug output is from router R2.